What we've been getting quite a bit of in the web development world, is
people learning web development languages such as CF and ASP as their first
major programming language, maybe with some experience from ASP or
Javascript so they do have an idea of syntax.  While this is a good thing,
remember that you MUST emphasize good coding practices in all "newbie" books
for these people, otherwise if they don't get such knowledge here at the
starting level, if they start working on more complex projects, or jump to
C++ and Java, they're hosed.

Basics include:

1) Commenting your code pllleeeaaasssseee....(I dunno how much "newbie code"
I've had to go through in my lifetime, but I'm gettin' sick of it...LOL)

2) Consider teaching a development methodology that is easy to use (not
necessarily Fusebox but SOMETHING would be cool) at least the concept of
using Includes to separate Action and Query pages from Display pages.

3) Underlying mechanics, people don't seem to understand the basics of
Client/Server and what Cold Fusion can and can't do.  Basically we all know
that Cold Fusion can't interact with the client, but how many times have
newbies asked if they could use Cold Fusion for JavaScript's work?  Perhaps
starting at the abstract client/server level would help things immensely.

While I've never read the CF for dummies book (lucky me, I started off with
Ben Forta and the Big Blue Bible he did on CF 3.1).  I feel that these are
of huge importance in getting the newbie off on the right track.  Remember
if he already knows some sort of web development language going in (even
JavaScript) he knows the basic concepts such as Loop, If, Variable sets etc,
so a huge emphasis on those basics is not necessary (maybe a chapter or
section for each).

Anyways, I dunno how much you can fit in 384 pages, maybe try using really
small fonts :-) but this is just my $0.02 on what should happen.

Gregory Harris
Web Developer
Stirling Bridge Group LLC