William,

For the second part of your question (URL rewriting) there are two
ways you can do it.

Firstly you can redirect _all_ requests (including 404s) to a default
page - let's say index.cfm - and let that page decide what to do with
the request, based on the URL passed in.  For example if the URL is
/directory/1/2/3/ then you could parse your way through that URL.

What the URL rewrite does is send the request to the web server in a
different way.  I don't use ISAPI rewrite since I've got Apache
running (mod_rewrite being the equivalent) but most of the time it
works something like this:

Public-facing URL: http://david.low.me.uk/category/railo/

URL rewritten and sent to web server behind the scenes:
http://david.low.me.uk/index.cfm?category=railo

It can be done a lot more complicated than that, but that's the basic
idea.  URLs are rewritten based on a set of rules supplied.

Hope that's of some use...

David