Most of the independents that I know get between $40 to $130/hr. Those
numbers vary by the nature of the work and overhead.

Basically if the client gives you a predefined scope of work, i.e sub
contracting for another shop (B2B), where you don't have to deal directly
with the client, the rates are lower. If you are working in house (or
remotely) as a temp/subcontractor for say, a 1-3 month project, the hourly
rate (on Monster.com) is between 30-60 hr. No hassles... you just get paid
for the work you do. For contract work acting as the design/development
house and walking in cold, doing a scope of work, writing the
proposal/contract etc. you start getting into the higher end of the range
(greater risk/more work). If you have to do administrative work like writing
contracts, book keeping, customer service etc. you need to figure that in to
your hourly rate as overhead.

When I was running my shop I billed at $50/hr when I first started and moved
up to $75 to $95 /hr. One of my friends (a client)  said that I should raise
my rates because people would question the quality of the work if my rate it
too low. The next project I did for him I jacked my rate up $25 an hr.
(Hey... you said I need to raise my rates.)

In any event, my advice for doing *ANY* client/contract work (I have been
burned by a non profit mind you) is to get a bullet proof contract. I bought
the "Web Development and Hosting Suite" from http://www.contractedge.com and
it has served me well. Define the scope of work as best you can, leave as
little to interpretation as possible and *document everything*.

HTH