Would probably help if you could post some abbreviated code.

Make sure the attribute is set as "formfields" (note it's plural). If
the attribute is "formfield" (singular), it will be ignored, and will
attempt to update with whatever it finds in the form collection. Note
that the table's primary key must be included in the formfields list,
and must be passed in the form collection (it can be hidden).

Cheers,
Kris