Well, I have to admit I've never tried any of the
CF8 built-in ajax widgets.

I've considered it, but as with most widgets, sooner
or later I'm going to run into their limitations and
have to learn to get more granular control over the
code by hand-coding it so I might as well start now.

I've been working with jQuery and, up until now, everything
I've tried has been relatively simple.

So, I thought I'd just try to tackle this so I can
keep everything hand-coded.  (A glutton for punishment...)

Rick