>> I'm just.lost.  Can y'all pretend I am a total idiot & explain this to me
with very small words, pretty please?

Can do ;)

>>get started with Flex

I would HIGHLY recommend the Lynda.com  Flex 3 Essential Training and Beyond
the Basics (BTB) series.
http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=438
http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=437

I am in the middle of Flex Essential Training right now and it will get you
up to speed quickly using (to the best of my knowledge) best practices. I
have been going through Lynda's CF8 BTB and it is spot on. High quality
stuff delivered in manageable chunks. All I can say is that I wish I had
known about it when I started off using CFC's and learning OO CF.

For $25 per month you really can't beat the online training library in terms
of "bang for the buck" (Provided you have a high speed connection).

HTH

G!

--
Gerald Guido
http://www.myinternetisbroken.com

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
-- Thomas A. Edison