Thanks Barney & Wil. Our application performs under extreme load 24/7.
Interacts with a database that is highly volatile (lots of inserts),
with tables/views containing millions of rows. Currently, the
instances are set to the default of 25 (2 of the stacks are set to 28
per instance). I don't know how/when these values were determined, but
we're looking at it now, and want to understand how changing these
_could_ affect performance, either negatively or positively.

Cheers,
Kris