>>I don't think this is unexpected behaviour

It is not only unexpected, it is completely retarded.
All ODBC/JDBC functions are designed so the database can be connected,
then the SQL statement be compiled, then data retrieved row by row, as
needed. Even dBase, Clipper, Foxpro worked this way.

 >>- you just need to examine what you actually require from the query

Well, I made a request to get only the record Id, it take "only" 6
seconds, then I read again each record with the data I need in the loop.
I am creating an index on words found in memo fields, and I need to loop
on all records in the table.
I'm doing this once for all on my development server, I don't care if it
takes hours, but 10 min, just to create the query, it looked like
infinity to me.