From: Sung Woo [mailto:s...@cornell.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:38 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: CFQUERY Timeout for SQL2005 Fails

Hi Mark,

To answer your question -- there's a DDL transaction that's running on the
server, and from what the folks have told me, an ALTER TABLE command was
causing the lock to occur.  And the downside is that giving hints (i.e.,
WITH (NOLOCK)) is not going to have an effect in this situation.

Working for a large corporation, I often do not have control over the
databases that are in the company.  So as much as I'd love to fix the issue,
I can't.  I'm sure we've all been there.  This is why it's imperative that
CF has the ability to protect itself against underperforming datasources.

- Sung

>The query timeout is not designed to work when there is no connection
>at all to the DB server. It is designed to time the statement - so if
>the connection itself is lost the setting will not have any affect. In
>affect you have an orphaned thread out there that is taking up space in
>the running request queue.
>
>The big question is why do you lose connection? Networking? Overloaded
>SQL server? That's where you need to focus I think.
>
>-Mark
>

>Mark A. Kruger, CFG, MCSE
>(402) 408-3733 ext 105
>www.cfwebtools.com
>www.coldfusionmuse.com
>www.necfug.com
>
>Anyone?  Bueller?  I really need an answer to this -- even though I'm
>running Fusion Reactor and can keep a survival strategy, this is no way
>to keep a server running.  Is there anyone out there who's successfully
>used the TIMEOUT parameter in CFQUERY with CFMX 7.0.2 and SQL 2005
Standard?