Ian,
What about creating a Flex based tool that allows users to choose the table
they want to get the data from and then the columns for the table (that you
wanted to be able to select by) would be available.  Basically making a
'drag and drop' kinda query builder.  where the users don't type anything,
but are allowed to select what they want that is available.

That's my $.02

Rob