Gerald, embedded MSSQL is usually for direct sql coding from source, it's going
to be headache to change the current code base, and how well it would work may
also be a variable.  Interesting idea about H2, the switch could be costly, but
I don't know much about it, mySQL requires multiples pieces (core db engine,
odbc connector and
it gui tool etc are not bundled as one., which version matches which is a real
issue but could be for compatibility... downloaded all three components, and
ran a script to installed them all, status indciated successful for all, and
yet, failed to connect to the server... (the box had an old version but mySQL
doc says its latest version does not care about it...)

Probably my best bet to stick to sql server express but set teeth into the root
cause of installation problem for average users, and go from there.

I appreciate it.

Don