I'm afraid that it appears that there's no quick fix from the IE end of things.
The IE blog team have confirmed that it is a problem with IE8 misinterpreting a
particular type of JPEG formatting. But they haven't said if they are going to
fix it or even if they consider it a proper bug. So the only way to keep your
clients happy is to revise your image handling code, then re-generate/convert
all the images you already have.

As most of my sites are running on CF6.1 or 7 my solution was to switch to
using imageCFC [http://imagecfc.riaforge.org/]. And in one case for a much
older application that still runs on CF5 I moved to using Jukka Manna's
cfx_image instead (It's on Adobe exchange).

For the batch conversion I used Multiple Image Resizer .NET as it seemed to
deliver decent cross conversions and was reasonably fast.

I had one client with over 78,000 images (around 3Gb) and all created with
cfxImage. It took about 6 hours... A lot of that time was waiting for windows
to move the files around to a temp area first. I did it via the command line as
it's really rather hard to work with that many files in windows explorer....