Hello,

I am trying to make a split testing script to track two landing pages.
Should I:

a)      Just use random() to select the page assuming I'll end up with even
distribution (its 50/50 no?)

b)      Store the last viewed page in an application var, single thread it,
and toggle it on each visit to load the correct page and prepare it for the
next request. Will this be a bottleneck? It would be a pretty small piece of
code..

What do you ya'll think?

While I'm posting, I am also going to be recording page views vs. actions
(form completions). My idea was to create a UUID on the first visit, update
the pageview table (record the UUID) and write the UUID to a cookie. When
the form gets submitted, check for the UUID cookie and update the pageAction
table. My question is, does it make more sense to store the stats in two
tables (viewStats / actionStats) or to combine them into one table with bit
fields for view / action ?

BTW, I read http://jochem.vandieten.net/tag/uuid/ which sheds some light on
using UUIDs and optimizing them for SQL Server. I was going to try to use
java.util.UUID to generate the UUID and see how that works out..

Brook