We're running CF under SunOS.  I'd have to check tomorrow to see if there is a
start-up script.  But, we've been starting it manually.  I understand about
permissions and umask and all somewhat.  That's why I assumed it was some kind
of permissions issue.  One question though.  The user account that starts CF is
called, e.g., "foo".  foo was placed in a group named "cfuser".  The group
"cfuser" has rwx permissions on that troublesome folder.  There's also a user
account that owns the troublesome folder.  Its name is, oddly enough, "cfuser".
 So, if user "foo" is in the group "cfuser" and the group "cfuser" has rwx
access on that folder, why can't files be uploaded there?  Could there be some
sort of confusion having the group and owner name the same?  That's my guess.

drwxrwxr-x   cfuser cfuser folderInQuestion