> a side question,  can anyone tell me what   #form.variable
> name#     is
> supposed to do?...i mean what does the # sign signify and
> what does "form"
> tell the computer?

The # signs tell the CF server to interpret what's inside them as a variable
name or function, and not just as a text string.  The form specifies the
category of variable.  Some other category names are:

variables (local page variables)
URL (variables embedded in URL query string)
session (session variables stored on server)

> #dollarformat(tax)#?

This tells the server to interpret dollarformat(tax) as a function, not as a
string.  The argument to the function, "tax", is probably a local variable
on the page.  You can specify local page variables by typing "variables."
first (e.g., variables.tax), but in the case of local page variables, you
don't need the prefix.  In any case, this function should return the value
of the local page variable "tax" in dollar format, that is, to two decimal
places, with a thousands separator, and a leading dollar sign.

Matthieu