procexp (Process Explorer) from sysinternals
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ or
http://live.sysinternals.com/procexp.exe) will let you browse open
handles on files and see what process(es) have them open.  I don't
know how to do it programatically (like from CF), but you might find a
command-line utility in the sysinternals package that you can run with
CFEXECUTE if you dig a bit.  There's all kinds of goodies in there.

cheers,
barneyb