thanks for your answer, Dave!

setting up virtual Apache servers - something tells me it is not the
same as vhosts, is it?
but google seems to think it is... could you point me to where i can
find more info on how to set them up?

if it is same as vhosts, then that's how i have it set up, too.

i was following Matt Quackenbush's instructions in setting up cf9 with
cf8 from here:
http://www.quackfuzed.com/index.cfm/2009/10/18/Learning-CF9-Installing-CF9-Alongside-CF8
and, as i said, everything works just fine except the src attribute of
external scripts cf inserts into the page ends up prefixed with the
instance's context root /cf9...

your help is very much appreciated, Dave.

Azadi Saryev