[
First off, let me say that I love (love love love) CF, and it's my baby of
choice for development (see: http://www.tallylist.com and
http://www.spankmag.com).

But, here,  you really don't have a choice. You can either sit in the mud,
complain, and sabotage the change - or you can work with the guy. He has a
different point of view, but he was hired to lead the department (that
doesn't make him competent, but it does grant him the authority). So it is
his view to lead the department forward.

What you're looking for is ways to offer suggestions or thoughts that may be
receptive to him. Ask about past projects he's been involved with  utilizing
PHP, or other technologies. Ask about his background in development, if
there's interesting things you should be on the lookout for. Ask if he has a
vision for 2 to 3 years - where this department may be. Find out where it's
going and why before you buck the system.

This isn't ass kissing. Ass kissing is rolling over and saying abuse me.
What it is though is how to survive transition, how to position yourself
during transition, and how to maintain all your options. Plus, maybe the IT
department can actually produce product during this phase (in CF or PHP).

The person was hired for a reason. So, give that person time. On the other
hand - you can question that persons ability by asking about past and future
projects and goals - and make evaluations based on those answers.

Stephen R. Cassady
President, Ububik new media
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ububik.com

<--- from email: --->
"It could be argued that both technologies have their strengths and
weaknesses. However, in the corporate IT department, CF is usually not an
option due to cost and security problems. I realize that changing
perceptions and old habits are sometimes difficult, but necessary.
Especially in our industry (high-tech).
The need to deliberate the issue further is a mute point."