I would say that the client who is using your api is not using the
datetime.parse method in .net which allows you to add a "culture" specific
format when a string date is parsed.

the .NET parse method is an overloaded .NET method that can either take the
following forms.

Parse(String) <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1k1skd40.aspx>
Parse(String,
IFormatProvider)<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kc8s65zs.aspx>