> What I'm really reluctant to do, however, is build a complete webmail client
> on top of this when there are 1001 much better webmail clients out there
> than I would ever have the time (= funding) to create.

Good call on your part.

> Currently my customer is using MS exchange, (hence Outlook & OWA) though
> they are actively looking at cheaper alternatives eg Zimbra.

I'd recommend Google Apps to them. That'll be cheaper than Zimbra,
And, one of the newer features of Apps is user-managed groups, which
are really just Google Groups with your domain email addresses. You
could programmatically create these groups, and that would give you
your correspondence record since groups keep archives.

> So has anyone got any good tips for systems which I could hook into from my
> app in a CRM-like way?

You can use Salesforce from CF. Although it can be a bit tricky, it's doable.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.