> When would an ecommerce site be required to get PCI certified?  At what
> volume of transactions?

My understanding is that you must comply with PCI-DSS if you handle a
single transaction. I don't know if certification is ever required,
but you may well be liable if you're not certified and you expose
cardholder data. By letting someone else handle this, you can process
as many transactions as you like without being on the pointy end of
the stick. Obviously, at some point it would make financial sense to
handle this in-house; I'm not sure where that breaking point would be,
though.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite