I think you got it!
   I was in such a rush to fix it, I skimmed right by the correct
article.  It is a "known bug" in SQL server 7 SP2. That is why it just
showed up - I recently installed SP2.
     The maintanace plan wizard created a maintanace plan that puts the
database into single user mode, runs the test, corrects any errors it
finds, then removes the single user mode.  If someone hits the database in
that exact moment between those last 2 steps, the table is in still single
user mode - so the command to remove single user mode can't get through.

That is also why it happens in the middle of the night:)  That is when the
plan ran. For some reason, it couldn't even email me that there was a problem.

All of the tables checked out ok with a manual DBCC checkdatabase!

(And I just ordered sql 2000 because of this problem:)

thanks a million - I owe you one!
Al