On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Pete Ruckelshaus
<pruckelsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dreamweaver's code completion is broken.  And by broken, I mean it isn't
> there.  I want to type <atag> and have it automatically create </atag> as
> soon as I type the last caret in the opening tag.  It doesn't do that.

Sure it does. Go to Preferences > Code Hints and tell it when you want
closing tags to be added. The default is at </ but it can also do
after > - I just set it to that and tested for both HTML and CFML and
it works fine.

> CFBuilder insists that I work in "projects".

No it doesn't. It _encourages_ projects in the same way Dreamweaver
_encourages_ sites but you certainly don't have to use it that way.
The Files view lets you work on your file system without projects (and
I believe you can set it up so double-clicking an arbitrary CFML file
opens the file in CFBuilder (on Windows - not so sure about Mac).

> To those of you who aren't using Dreamweaver, CFBuilder, or Homesite+, what
> are you using and how does it work for CF development?

I was using TextMate for about a year after I got tired of CFEclipse
bugs and the early CFBuilder builds being buggy. I've never liked DW
for CF development because it's just not code-centric enough for me.
When CFBuilder was released, I bought a copy and I think it's
excellent. It has so many features that make me so much more
productive than any IDE I've used for CF before. Some of those are
Eclipse features (e.g., open resource), some are CFBuilder features
(built-in access to servers, administrators, log view, code insight,
SQL insight) some are Aptana features (JS code insight). I also have
direct integration with SVN and git (via plugins).

Charlie Arehart has published some great tips on configuring DW and
now CFB to suit your workflow as well as some awesome presentations on
both. Check out http://carehart.org/ for details.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/