In theoretical land:

You have an app that connects to the bank via some complex, highly secure
webservices API over SSL to transfer money etc. Assume Scumbag A wants that
money. Scumbag A manages to exploit your external DNS server to point the
bank's URL, so the info you send goes to the scumbag instead of the bank.
However, on connecting, your CF server will fail because the self-signed
certificate they've generated in the name of the bank isn't trusted by the
CA certs in the keystore. Nothing bad happens.

Now imagine they somehow changed the keystore, to insert a CA that trusts
their self-signed certificate. Your server now happily connects and sends
all of your banking details, passwords etc to Scumbag A. Bad things happen.

--
WSS4CF - WS-Security framework for CF
http://wss4cf.riaforge.org/