> I'm trying to set up ColdFusion 9 in distributed mode (again, on some other
> servers).  As soon as I add the jrun_iis6_wildcard.dll ISAPI filter, a call
> to an HTML file will fail.  As soon as I remove the filter, it succeeds.
>
> I thought that .html and .htm files were not served by a filter but directly
> by IIS.  Is this indicative of a misconfiguration within IIS, or what's going
> on here?

It's more complicated than that. When you install an ISAPI filter, all
traffic is processed by that filter. The filter does whatever it's
supposed to do, then forwards the request to the next stage of the IIS
processing pipeline if there's anything left to do. My understanding
is that Apache modules basically work the same way.

In the case of CF, the request is received by IIS, sent to the ISAPI
filter, which passes the request to CF. CF looks at the URL patterns
it has defined in web.xml. It then processes the request if it matches
one of the URL patterns, or returns the request to the ISAPI filter if
it doesn't. There is a tiny bit of overhead from all this request
passing, which is why some high-availability environments (like the
Macromedia site and presumably now the Adobe site) use a non-standard
context root (something other than "/") for CF. By using a
non-standard context root, the filter can be limited to a specific
predetermined URL pattern, like "/cfusion".

None of this actually solves your problem, but it might explain why
you're having that problem.

Finally, I hate to say this, but I'd recommended using a reverse proxy
instead of distributed mode, which I've always found kind of fragile
and problematic. Using a reverse proxy gets you the same benefits (the
ability to isolate CF from your public interface, the ability to
segment serving static files from dynamic ones) but doesn't rely on
anything built into CF/JRun. We have a few high-availability clients
using a reverse proxy, typically on public-facing Apache on Unix
servers, sending requests to isolated CF/IIS servers internally, and
this works pretty well.

Of course, it's probably too late to rethink your architecture at this point.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsi