The Database Engine Tuning Advisor only gets you so far and some of
the recommendations it generates are bad recommendations. For example,
it might suggest redundant overlapping indexes. It currently takes a
human to properly set up indexes.

Your best bet is to find the bottleneck and try to quantify how much
that bottleneck is impacting server operations. It would be hard to
quantify any benefit from upgrades unless you know what the bottleneck
is. Adding a CPU if the existing CPU never gets above 10% utilization
won’t do much. You can find bottlenecks using a number of methods.
Wait stats would be the first thing I would check.

In my experience, the hard drive is often the bottleneck. If your
budget is limited I would make a guess that it is better to add more
drive spindles than add another CPU. If you only have one drive array
in your server that can be a problem, even if it is RAID 10.

Adding RAM takes pressure off the hard drives and is usually a good
idea. 4 GB is considered a small amount of RAM for a production SQL
Server box. Even 8 GB might be too little depending on what you are
doing.

-Mike Chabot

http://www.linkedin.com/in/chabot