On 31/08/2010 11:16, Mallory Woods wrote:

> I just started looking a git to use for source control for our CF projects.
> I wanted to ask those who are using it a few questions.....

git is a distributed version control system so having a central
repository is fine for later, completed versions but it might be worth
considering having a local repo for each developer so that they can save
and version control internally and then when they are happy with their
current work snippet push that back to a common/shared repo. That way
you get some independence otherwise you are not doing much more than
what svn does.

Also you might consider looking at mercurial rather than git as it has a
better fit with Windows machines.

For example here we use Mercurial and every developer has a local set of
repos on their workstation which they work with and when they have
finished code synchronise from that back to a central repo where they
can share their work with others. We actually have several central repos
for test/stage levels of goodness of code rather than branching, the two
are almost synonymous in distributed version control systems and
synchronising between repos is simplicity itself (in Mercurial at least).

If you want to get really fancy and you have developers on the move or
with more than one workstation, desktop and notebook for example, then
you can have another repo on a central server for that developer to sync
up to from one workstation so that they can then pull that update down
onto their other workstation. They can then keep code current on two
machines without having half-good code in the main repos for other
people to trip over.

--

Yours,

Kym Kovan