Not to argue, because you make good points, but just about every shared host
I've ever used gives you a mechanism for url rewrite. In fact most offer
really well documented steps on how to do it too. I think it's probably
equally as hard for a new dev to understand url rewriting as it is to
understand how to set up a custom 404 handler and then a url parser based
off of the cgi scoped vars etc etc. Further I think you'd find that Google
will return many many more walk throughs on web server url rewriting vs
coldfusion rewriting.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. I guess we'll just have to agree to
disagree.