I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. I don't currently use jquery
so I can't really follow if you are doing something different.

My case seems simple. I have inserted an alert (which fires) in the script so I
am confident that the JavaScript code is being executed, but it simply isn't
resolving the focus() ... is it perhaps trying to do that at the wrong time? My
JavaScript/firebug skills are not far enough along to be able to understand the
DOM when I look at it. But it seems to me that I've tried every combo of id and
name and of trying to access the field in my JavaScript and still nothing. Can
anyone suggest something I should look for in the DOM?