Really, thanks for the reply, but the jhove site is way over my head.
Maybe someone will have a simpler answer.
Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: denstar [mailto:valliants...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 9:59 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Getting rid of maliceous code embedded in a jpg

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Terry Troxel wrote:

> I am trying to allow perspective clients to try my templates
> image tools in order to see if it will help sway them.
> I do not have any image samples with malicious code nor do I want any.
> My question is if I use the coldfusion image tags or my trusty cf_imagecr
> after the upload will it remove any of this or how about I save it as a
png?
> I do not want to open up any possible security issues.

There was an awesome thread on the Railo list, titled "CFFile and MIME
types", that covered this issue a bit.

I think in the end, a virus scanner was the best bet?  Maybe trying to
convert the image to a different type would do the trick too, I can't
remember if that was covered.

There was a link for something that looked interesting:

http://hul.harvard.edu/jhove/

But I don't know if it would work.  I never got around to writing a
wrapper for it to test with.  =)

I bet conversion would be enough, though you'd probably run into the
odd legitimate file that didn't convert, for whatever reason.  Better
that than the alternative though, I say.  There are potential
false-positives with virus scanners too, although I'd wager less.

:Den

--
Any father whose son raises his hand against him is guilty of having
produced a son who raised his hand against him.