you probably have a mapping set up (in cf admin or in your
Application.cfc/cfm) for your above-web-root folder that contains your
.cfm files - that is why they can be included.

that cf mapping however would not apply to any other files - only to
cfm/cfc ones.
all other files will be served by your web server directly.
you thus need to set up a virtual directory 'images' in each of your
sites and point it to that 'images' folder above your of web root.

Azadi