From: Bobby Hartsfield [mailto:bo...@acoderslife.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:29 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Watermarking images

This can easily be done with cfimage. I just wanted to offer my experience
with doing it on the fly.

If you hit my site, in my signature, you will see a watermarked mast head
image. If you refresh, you will get another.

My super cool plan was to have the watermark added on each request. It
worked quickly enough that it was no problem at all... however, the image
had some very strange caching issues on the browser side... I tried
everything I could think of to get around it but eventually ended up
watermarking the images and saving the watermarked file for display.

When a new image is added to a directory, I can click a button to loop oever
them, watermark them and move them to the directory that they will be
displayed from.

Ray Camden offered a good idea for a gateway that would "watch" the diectory
and handle the watermakrs without any interaction...

But my suggestion is to, somehow, watermark the images permanently and use
those for display. You can always keep an original copy and watermark them
again later (if your watermark changes or something). But the headaches of
doing it on the fly became too much to worry with and I ended up saving
watermarked versions instead.

You can see some code and more detail here:
http://acoderslife.com/index.cfm/blog/Mast-head-image-bug

The code there is what I was using to watermark on the fly.

Bobby Hartsfield
http://acoderslife.com