>It occurred to me that I should first ask if this issue is causing any
>problems, or if it is only an unexpected way to format a number? For example
>0.00 = 0E-8. They are both the same number regardless of how they are
>displayed.

Unfortunately, it is causing an issue in this particular instance (and is in
fact why we had a stack trace to see that 0E-8 was being returned) :)

It's legacy code, so with some work we could certainly resolve the issue, but,
as a legacy *third-party* solution, my concern is it's going to cause issues in
other parts of the system. Assuming this is expected behavior in CF8/we haven't
flipped the appropriate 'switch.'

>For clarification, which number has the unexpected formatting, the value
>pulled directly out of a database table and placed in the cfquery record
>set, the variable that is being assigned the value, or both?

Probably the former - ColdFusion's interpretation of the value from SQL / the
value in the cfquery record set, since the resolution in this particular case
is to cast the returned value to a particular type in the procedure.

But, another way to resolve the issue is to check the formatting when setting
the variable, so I suppose one could argue both. The immediate problem is
because of the latter, but the root cause is the former.

In short, "0E-8" is populated in the proc's cfquery result set, a variable is
being set with "0E-8", and another query is failing because it doesn't care for
"0E-8" being passed.

Hopefully that last bit didn't muddy the waters ... :)

~James