I have built two applications under this method, and you are using many of
the same ideas.  Mine have been up and running for years with no major
issues.  In regard to the domain name issue mentioned by Russ, a simple
workaround for this is to use a bit of string parsing.  You can parse out
the domain, and drop the sub domain into a separate variable to be used for
additional processing or styling.  For example, take the following
theoretical URLs mydomain.com, www.mydomain.com, and blogs.mydomain.com.
 Using string parsing you can always be assured the mydomain.com will always
be your primary reference point to setup DSN and any other site specific
variables that need to be set. You can then drop the sub domain "blogs" into
another variable that would allow you to modify settings for the primary
domain such as template or navigation links.

BTW, I am using IIS with virtual directories to include my code base.  What
setup are you using?

Good luck,
Brian Cain