I've not used RDS (yet) due to the costs involved but it certainly is an
attractive option as your operations grow as backup and replication are 'built
in'. Overhead that would make it unusable? Why do you think that? It's designed
to perform well.

However what I have used (in fact just put live into production recently) is
MySQL on EC2 using two micro instances in a Master-Slave setup. Arguably this
will work fine for small to medium sized sites which run less complex queries.
So far it is working a treat for a site that pushes around 2,000 daily sessions
and a  few thousand inserts (mainly logging) and a few simple CRUD queries.

My setup is as follows:
- 2 EC2 micro instances running Ubuntu 10.10 and MySQL 5.1
- One MySQL instance configured as master, the other as slave. CF talks to the
master. This allows me to dump the slave daily without table locks on the
master database.
- MySQL dumps daily to S3 using s3fs (allows you to mount an S3 bucket as a
filesystem)
- slave talks to master on the EC2 private IP
- if my master was to go down for any reason I could switch the elastic IP over
to the slave and resume very quickly that way. With EC2 this can also be
automated

I'm by no means an EC2 expert but have spent the last two weeks experimenting a
lot with the platform. The more I learn about it the better it gets. One thing
that I have not yet figured out is how to work around the one-IP-per-instance
limit - I need two services on port 80 (FMS and Apache) on another instance but
this does not seem possible at this time... :-/

Regards,

Stefan