> One solution is to have a table of sub-domains that refer to the main
> application config table:  lookup "domain.com" or "blog.domain.com" or
> "www.domain.com" and find the parent config record for "www.domain.com".
> In that case, you can then add "dev.domain.com" to the sub-domain table,
> but you'd still have to have the dev.domain.com entry in your local hosts
> file for it to work.

Boy that's starting to get complicated.  I'm already,
even before actually starting, to long for the days
of single, isolated websites.

I would tend to ignore the subdomains for now,
except for the fact that subdomains using "mobile"
are coming on so strong and are part of my
application-building plan... mobile.xyz.com.

It seems, especially with the mobile dev world,
that it would be a lot simpler, and perhaps more
efficient in the end, to have one MSOC app for
desktop sites and another MSOC app for the same
site in a mobile version.

I'm going to have to think on this one for awhile
to come up with a sound, long-term (as long as possible
in this fast changing landscape) plan.  I don't want to
get half-way down this path of app development and
then realize I need to start all over.

Perhaps some of you smart people on the list could
blog (in-depth) about how to go about this (in detail!).

Rick