On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Richard White <rich...@j7is.co.uk> wrote:

> basically our security entails a VPN between the database server and
> software server, firewalls, application firewalls, an SSL between the client
> machine and software server, and all of the usual CF security... however
> there are rules in some countries that medical data must be encrypted in the
> database, i agree that i cannot see the threat this directly targets!

I'd look a little deeper into the specific requirement before going to a
blanket goal to "encrypt everything".  I suspect only certain medical data
needs to be protected, and/or only personally identifiable medical
information.  Primary keys (for example) are not medical information.

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress
Sumo Consulting Inc