> I just want to make sure my understanding is correct in that
> true AJAX doesn't involve an iFrame and the only time one need
> make use of an iFrame for ajax is when a file has to be transferred.
>
> Note, that I said the only time an iFrame is "needed" is for the
> transfer of a file, not that it can't be used for "faux" ajax all the time.
>
> Would this be correct?  I just don't want my understanding to
> be incorrect...

Your understanding is correct. The "A" in AJAX stands for
asynchronous, and is used to refer to using XmlHttpRequest to make
requests "in the background" rather than by changing the location of a
window. XmlHttpRequest doesn't support file uploads, which is why you
have to handle file uploads differently.

Before XmlHttpObject was introduced, web developers used iframes and
frames to do all the same sorts of things.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite