Outlook 2007 actually does a very good job of rendering HTML emails as it
uses IE to do the job. Outlook 2010 is the problem as they switched to using
the word html rendering engine.
However you need to remember that HTML emails are not rendered the same in
all email clients, so you need to keep it as simple as possible and only do
things that will work in most email clients.
There are a number of sites out there which give you a matrix of which
tags/CSS rules work and which don't in which email client, if you google the
topic you will get plenty of results.

There is also www.campaignmonitor.com which has built in emulators to show
you how your email will look in all the major clients.

Russ