I saw you had an aggregate function within your example but you said nothing
about using a TABLE ALIAS inside an aggregate function. Your question asked
if you could use an ALIAS in a WHERE clause.

You can use an ALIAS in a WHERE clause but Ive never been able to use an
ALIAS inside an aggregate function before. In that case the answer is no,
you cant do it & you might have to like you said code out 2 seperate
queries.