On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Justin Scott <leviat...@darktech.org> wrote:
> True, but the core CFML language was kept backwards compatible as much
> as possible to ease migrations.  If you're using CFX extensions
> written in C++ then you may not be able to transition to the open
> source platforms; I do not know if C++ CFX is supported there or not.

Open BlueDragon has supported C++ CFX for years and Railo just worked
with three sponsoring companies to get that code integrated into Railo
(so those sponsors get it first - everyone will get it eventually).
The OpenBD copyright holders released that code to Railo under LGPL so
it could be incorporated without license conflicts.

>> Adobe bought out Allaire after CF 5.
> Not that it's very relevant, but Macromedia actually bought Allaire,
> and Adobe bought Macromedia, so it would be even more unlikely that
> Adobe will still have your purchase records on file.

And Macromedia bought Allaire *before* CF5 shipped. We closed the deal
in March 2001 and CF5 shipped as a Macromedia product in June or July.
What became CFMX (6.0) was well under development at that point and my
team (at Macromedia) started using early builds of CFMX in September I
believe (the alpha came in early 2002).

> That's just how software works.  Try to get support from Microsoft for
> Windows 2000 and you'll essentially run into the same thing.  CF5 was
> out around the same time so I wouldn't expect ongoing support for it
> either.

Adobe (and Macromedia and Allaire) support only one or two versions
back and that's pretty typical for all software companies. If you
don't pay maintenance or you don't buy upgrades, they have no
incentive (nor obligation) to continue supporting you.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."
-- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-18