Andrew, thanks.  That is exactly what I was experiencinging.

I am quite surprised that this problem has not been sorted out by Adobe.  I
really like CF, but this seems a bit lame.

I briefly tried installing the connector on individual sites, but it didn't
seem to work (was still getting 404.3 errors). Since I was short on time, I
set the connector for all sites and made myself a big not tom remind me not
to touch anything. It's crazy I had to do that.

Adobe needs to get this sorted out.

RR