Brook,

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Brook Davies <cft...@logiforms.com> wrote:

> I am considering spawning a new thread via the onRequestEnd event to do
> some
> post processing. Basically its going to record some stats (a couple quick
> DB
> queries) and possibly send an email based on some criteria. I am
> considering
> CFTHREAD because the user does not need to wait for any results of this
> processing.
>
> I've read some things about CFTHREAD being a bottle neck and that CF
> Proffesional has limited threads. Would I be asking for trouble trying to
> do
> this? Should I just let the user wait for the processing to finish? It
> would
> really like only be 100-200 milliseconds or so

This is really one of those situations where running a load test really
gives you the best answer. You may end up getting a variety of answers, but
none will be quite as useful as spending 30-60 minutes running a simple load
test to see what happens.

If you don't currently have any tools for running a load test, download Apache
jMeter <http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/> and then you can follow this
tutorial:

http://www.roseindia.net/jmeter/using-jmeter.shtml

Set up a simple test what the results are between using <cfthread /> and not
using it in your onRequestEnd and see what the impact is on your site under
various types of load. If you set up the Aggregate Report listener it'll
give you an idea of the overall impact.

I use jMeter a lot when I want to quickly see what the real impact of under
load of some code might be. I usually will set things up so that a URL
parameter can toggle various code branches--that way I can quickly change
the behavior right from jMeter. I'll run several tests simulate heavy load
and see which performs better overall and to see if any of the solutions are
causing weird queuing issues.

-Dan

--
Dan G. Switzer, II