Paul, good thoughts. We had thought of both of these, and did our best to
eliminate the zoo of encodings by creating a test document that causes the
same behavior.

True, I can't be certain that every case that is failing is valid utf-8, but
my main test document is one I created in Notepad and saved as utf-8.

Zero-byte characters are also possible (though in my test document I don't
believe so), but I don't think that would fit the scenario. CF isn't choking
on the character I remove, but well after it. CF would choke at the
zero-byte character, if there were one, right?