You missed the point, I can tell you someone who has never programmed in
their life. Took up programming in CF and ran with it fast, not only that
but thay also picked up Flash, and Javascript and ExtJS and JQuery.

In a space of 3 months I can tell you I was impressed.

Now whether you have 3 months or 15 years, or even 31 years like myself. You
have to have the aptitude to learn it, without that it will be difficult.

So you are still wrong, unless you know this person extremely well you can
not judge him/her on what they might or might not be able to do.

But you are right you can't use expect that one can pick it up, and then
expect to get paid top dollar either. But you can certainly look at junior
positions that can lead to better training and expertise to work with.

Actually becoming a good Java developer is not hard, becoming someone who is
fluent is. That means knowing beans, servelets, Spring, patterns and many
more to boot, but as I stated you can very easily get a grasp of the basics
and go for a junior position without any troubles what so ever.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/