Actually I disagree with what you are saying here, first I would not be
putting the authentication in the Application.cfm and instead look at
securing it some other way. But that is not your issue.

The issue is that you are trying to run a template that will throw an error,
nothing that I can think of from the top of my head will ever get around
that.

Your best option would be to use the template in question with url
parameters with the name of the file. Then in that template check the
authentication and then pass the name of the PDF and use cfcontent to
actually load a PDF back to the browser. Your method is just asking for more
headaches like this.

But I am at a loss to explain how a PDF is going to throw a CF Exception
error, when using cfcontent to deliver the file it should not be trying to
compile that content.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/