Richard wrote:
> the issue here is that there are various filters being built up from
> different functions which is why we are having to do it as a string
> and not directly inside a cfquery tag.

The issue here is that you are trying to use cfquery in a way it wasn't
designed to be used, which is why you're having trouble trying the get the
language to support your craziness. :)

If you want to work with SQL-based databases, you have to work with queries -
which in CF means using cfquery and cfqueryparam with individual queries, not
trying to build up the statement from parts of strings scattered all over the
place.

If you want a more filter-based approach, you want to use something that is
built around filtering, which (I think) is one of the main benefits of CouchDB
and similar.

Depending on exactly what you're doing, I'd probably just put the entire query
in a single function, and use suitable arguments and switch/if statements to
control what parts of the where clause is used, which is very likely to be more
maintainable than having filters in different functions.