I'm doing a lot of PPT/PPTX and DOC conversion in one of my apps. Usually I
need to convert to image formats, but PDF would be similar: it sometimes simply
fails. I think it's because some Office docs have too much gimmicky stuff
packed into them.

In any case I use some of the Aspose libraries to do the conversion, maybe give
that a try. Solutions which require Office or Openoffice on the server seemed
slow and not very scalable to me. Aspose is not without its faults, and it
isn't cheap, but it does not require any form of Office and it's pretty fast.

Regards,

Stefan