That is the exact process.

CFPOP is the tool to use to check the email box. It will let you do most things
any normal email client would do such as get headers only, save attachments,
delete emails etc.  Have a schedule task run the code once every n minutes.

Wil Genovese
Sr. Web Application Developer/
Systems Administrator
CF Webtools