On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Matt Williams <mgw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting concept. Seems like somebody could do the same for Java -
> maybe a tag based deal with some cool tie-ins to a database, email,
> searching, web services, dhtml, reports ...

LOL!

I think it's interesting that they chose C++ as their "assembler".
There is Caucho which implements PHP on top of the JVM but I don't
know how well it works (I highlighted as part of my "Scripting for
ColdFusion" project some years back, as a way of embedding PHP
fragments in CFML pages and running them).

On a sort of related note, given that many languages compile to Java
bytecode these days, the Clojure project team (a modern Lisp on the
JVM) has just released ClojureScript which is effectively a version of
Clojure that compiles to JavaScript and can use the Google Closure
Compiler / Library to create very small, highly optimized JS for use
in the browser or on Node.js. You might not have consider JS as
"assembler" either, unless you follow Scott Hanselman's blog:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/JavaScriptIsAssemblyLanguageForTheWebSematicMarkupIsDeadCleanVsMachinecodedHTML.aspx
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/JavaScriptIsAssemblyLanguageForTheWebPart2MadnessOrJustInsanity.aspx

The net result is the ability to write all of your web application
code in a dialect of Clojure, on the server and on the client - and
even give yourself the choice of Node.js or the JVM as the backend
platform. There are even libraries for generating both CSS and HTML
from pure Clojure if you feel inclined.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/